This Privacy was last modified and is effective as of September 16, 2013.
2. What Information Essilor Collects
Anonymous information: Our Website captures certain non-personal common technical information automatically. This information may include your Internet protocol (IP) address, browser type and computer operating system, time and date you visit the Website, the pages you access, and the address of the website that directed you to this Website or the website you visit when you leave this Website. In a mobile environment, we may also collect your location. Essilor uses this information to understand patterns of site activity and to improve the Website so it is more useful for you.
Personal Information: The types of personally identifiable information (“PII”) that may be collected on this Website include your name, your status (such as whether you are a consumer, student or journalist), mailing address, zip code, email address, title or occupation, and telephone number. Additional PII that may also be collected on this Website:
- If you are purchasing a product or service, your credit card number, expiration date and security code.
- If are entering a sweepstake, contest, giveaway or other promotion (each a “Promotion”), your age or birth date.
- If you are applying for employment, your work authorization information, visa status, desired salary, academic level, employment history including salary, and any other information you include on the resume you upload to the Website. You may also choose to provide optional information such as race, gender, and whether you are disabled or your Veteran status.
- If you are participating in a survey, we may ask your gender and age, income, ethnicity, family size and marital status.
- If you are sharing an article or page of this Website with a third party, the third party email address will also be collected.
3. Purposes of PII Collection
We request PII to provide a service, product or information about Essilor’s products or services or to complete a transaction. Examples include subscribing to newsletters, emailing a friend an article from the Website, entering a Promotion, participating in training, finding an eyecare professional or doctor, distributor, store or sales consultant, applying for employment, purchasing a product or service, completing online surveys, contacting us with questions or comments, or for product registration.
4. Protection of Personal Information Essilor Collects
Although, Essilor cannot promise the use of our Website is completely safe, Essilor uses standard security measures. Essilor urges you to use caution when using the Internet. This includes not sharing your passwords.
This Website may contain customer reviews, forums and/or message boards and other Online Content. Please remember that any information disclosed in these areas becomes public information, and you should exercise caution when considering the disclosure of your PII. You agree that Essilor is not responsible for material posted by you or others in these public forums.
5. Sharing of PII
Essilor may share your PII with third parties for marketing purposes. Essilor will not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to third parties your PII unless Essilor provides you with advance notice as set out herein or also as described below:
- Subsidiaries and Affiliates. Essilor may transfer PII to its subsidiaries and corporate affiliates.
- Website Consultants and Service Providers. Essilor will disclose PII to third party consultants and service providers (such as providers of hosting, support, maintenance and remedial, repair services, mail delivery services, and payment processors) to the extent that they require access to the databases, or the PII contained in our databases, to provide services to you, Essilor or and the Website.
- Reorganization or Sale of the Company. In the event that the Essilor is merged with or becomes part of another organization, or in the event that Essilor is sold or it sells all or substantially all of its assets or is otherwise reorganized, the PII Essilor collects will be one of the transferred assets to the acquiring or reorganized entity.
- As Otherwise Allowed by Law. Essilor may transfer PII to third parties where we are expressly authorized by applicable law to do so.
6. Opt-Out Choices
Emails. You can opt out of receiving future promotional emails from Essilor by following the unsubscribe procedures indicated in each email. Even if you opt out of receiving promotional emails from Essilor, we will send you transaction emails and respond to questions from you.
Web Beacons. Essilor may also use web beacons (also known as action tags, pixels, or transparent GIF files) to help manage online advertising. These web beacons are provided by our ad management vendors and enable our ad management vendors to recognize a unique cookie, which are files created by a Web server and stored on your computer's hard drive by your Web browser. The web beacons are placed by Essilor who works with our ad management vendors. Web beacons allow us to learn which advertisements bring users to our Websites. They also allow us to collect information about your online activities so we can manage advertising effectiveness and provide you with online advertisements, including advertisements on other websites, more likely to be of interest to you. With web beacon technology, the information that we collect and share is anonymous and not personally identifiable. It does not contain your name, address, telephone number, or email address. For more information about online behavioral advertising and your choice to opt-out of receiving targeted online advertisements from members of the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA), please visit the DAA website at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/
Tools on Mobile Devices. You can control the tools on your mobile devices. For example, you can turn off the GPS locator or push notification on your phone.
Do Not Track (“DNT”) Signals. Essilor does not currently respond to DNT signals but may do so in the future.
7. Accessing and Updating your PII
You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to update your PII. Some Essilor Websites may allow you to set up an account and access and update your PII by logging into your account and going to the appropriate section of your account.
8. Consent of data Transfer of Non-U.S. Residents
If you reside in a country other than the United States, upon providing your PII to Essilor, you will be indicating your explicit consent that the PII you have provided may be transferred to, processed, and stored in the United States.
9. Notice to California Residents - Your California Privacy Rights
Under California’s "Shine the Light" law, California residents who provide PII in obtaining products or services for personal, family, or household use are entitled to request and obtain from Essilor once a calendar year information about the PII we shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing uses. If applicable, this information would include the categories of PII and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared customer information for the immediately prior calendar year (e.g., requests made in 2013 will receive information regarding 2012 sharing activities).
To obtain this information, please send an email message to email@example.com, with "Request for California Privacy Information" on the subject line and in the body of your message. We will provide the requested information to you at your e-mail address in response.
Please be aware that not all information sharing is covered by the "Shine the Light" requirements and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response.
10. Links to Other Websites
Third Party Websites. This Website may contain links to third party sites. Essilor is not responsible for the content or policies of such sites and recommends that you check the third party privacy policies posted on their websites.
11. Contact Essilor to Ask Questions and Provide Feedback Regarding Privacy
Slavery and Human Trafficking
Effective January 1, 2012, the California Transparency in Supply Chains Act of 2010 requires Essilor to disclose its efforts to eradicate slavery and human trafficking from its direct supply chain for tangible goods offered for sale.
Essilor sets a high bar for itself regarding sustainability, labor and employment, and it expects the same from its suppliers. Through its parent, Essilor International, Essilor adheres to numerous internally-established policies based on the Ten Principles of the United Nations Global Compact at http://www.unglobalcompact.org/. In addition, and among many other efforts, Essilor International belongs to five major Social Responsibility Indices: ASPI Eurozone, ECPO Ethical Index EURO, FTSE4Good, Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) and Ethibel Excellence. These initiatives behind these indices guide Essilor’s business practices, including its selection and retention of suppliers providing goods or services to its subsidiaries and affiliates worldwide. For more detailed information about Essilor International’s sustainability and transparency policies, see Appendix 3 to the 2010 Registration Statement, Seeing the World Better 2003, and Seeing the World Better 2006, each available to view and download at http://www.essilor.com/en/Group/Sustainable/Pages/Publications.aspx.
Based on the above description of Essilor’s policies and the efforts of Essilor International through numerous initiatives, Essilor has established robust practices and programs intended to promote global sustainability, as well as compliance with applicable laws regarding slavery and human trafficking in the countries in which Essilor does business.